Saturday, April 24, 2010

Serving God

I read this article just before I was on my way out to catch a bus up to campus. Even for a just a couple of minutes, God touched my heart as I was reading this. Maybe He will with yours too.

By, Helen Lescheid

What does it mean to serve God?

I used to think it had to do with certain ministry related activities such as teaching a Bible class, singing in the choir, speaking at a women’s function, or raising money for the poor. But I’ve discovered that serving God is much more encompassing.

Serving God is a life style.

“If you want to be of use to God, get rightly related to Jesus Christ and He will make you of use unconsciously every minute you live,” writes Oswald Chambers.

“Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies,” said Mother Teresa. “We can do no great things, only small things with great love.”

Now, instead of waiting for ministry opportunities to come my way, I’m looking for ordinary ways to bless someone’s life– having a neighbor in for lunch, going for walks with a friend, writing an article, knitting an Afghan, volunteering at Gleaners where senior retirees, like me, make soup mixes for the hungry people of the world.

Whatever we do out of love for Christ, is ministry.


“Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the grave, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom” - Ecclesiastes 9:10

Love, out.

1 comment:

ry said...

Hey Linnie,

Regina here. Pik San (my primary school mate) told me to visit your blog some time ago.. and here I am dropping by.

Just wanna say that this post really blessed me. couldn't agree more how we cannot do great things, but small things with great love.

Thank you for writing this post. : )