Monday, April 13, 2009

She goes on a trip

Katheryn and Mey paid me a visit last week. It was my first time meeting Alex, Mey's boyfriend from Norwich. It was so much fun catching up with the pals after so many months. The road trip we took to a place called Pembrokeshire was the best of all. It was a 2 hours drive (poor Alex) but upon arrival, we thought the long drive was so worth it. Pembroke was breath taking! Honestly, no words can express the beauty and grandeur of it. The sun, the coast, the wind, the scenery, the countryside, everything about it was perfect. If anyone in Britain is looking for a place to relax, sit and be still? This place is the way to go. I LOVED it. And someday, I shall return there before I leave Wales. There's no place like it.


On the 2nd day, we headed to Aberaeron hometown of my friend Rhodri. We went to visit his lovely home before he took us to town for some Welsh food. Compared to Aberystwyth, Aberaeron is relatively smaller. It took us about 30 minutes to walk around the entire town before having some fish&chips. Being typical malaysians, nothing could have satisfied us but food. But because of that, we broke the ice between friends from the past and present. We got along instantly and very well too, it was awesome. It started to rain before we decided to walk back to Rhodri's place hence, the whole conversation about why Malaysians won't play football under the rain came up. I suppose British people has never experienced the effects of thunders and lightings before?



I followed Mey and Alex back to Norwich. We made a detour to Shrewsbury where we paid a short visit at Alex's boarding school - Concorde College. Sounds familiar to all you spoilt Malaysians? That's right. Kids there are living a luxurious life, I had no idea such a place exists for 13 years olds! People to do the laundry for them,a huge gym, theatres, tennis courts, big fields for football and rugby games and lovely looking resident halls! Gosh, as much as I think the school is beautiful but really.. some parents do love their kids waaaay tooo much! It made me wonder if luxuries is ever worth that much in one's life.

On the way to the school, Alex's car got stuck in the mud. It took an Alex, a skinny stick like me, a farmer, then 2 policemen to give the car a good push. Obviously by the time the cops arrived, the skinny stick stood by and watched while Mey had to twist and turn the stirring wheel. The whole ordeal lasted for like half an hour. It was really funny. Something to remember by on my very first road trip in Britain.

Norwich is the loveliest city I've ever been so far. It is an idealic place for one to stay and raise a family. Well.. at least I think so. The people there are friendly and I just loved how Norwich reminded me of Bangsar. On the first day itself, I felt so at home there. I told Mey that though I've not visited the rest of Britain which I intend to but, there's just something about it that I'm very drawn to and somehow, I thought to myself that I would really like to live there someday. Who knows where I'll be after I graduate. Norwich is definitely an option.


The Waffle House where I had the best waffles! More reason for me to go back!


A poster on the wall of Alex's housemate's room. Nice eh?

Norwich Law School

On my way back to Aberystwyth was exhausting. It took me 8 hours to travel home on the train but it's not usually this long. Due to some engineering works, passengers were forced to make a few detours from Birmingham New Street. The train ride from Birmingham to Wolverhampton was an interesting one for me. I got up from my sit and headed to ladies at the start of the journey. As I got out, I sort of lashed the door open and I felt like I might've knocked someone with the toilet door. When I got out to close it, I saw this man old enough to be my grandpa staring at me with his fierce looking eyes! He practically shouted at me for "hurting" him, and asked if I knew what I was doing! Haha, well I obviously knew I had to go to the loo really bad that's for sure. I apologised again and again though at that moment, I was getting very annoyed with his constant staring as though I tripped him over or something. I told myself to stay calm so I asked him if he was alright when he refused to answer me. I was wondering how bad can a man get hurted by a toilet door? His wife on the other hand, turned around wondering what the fuss was about. I believe after realising it was over a toilet door, she ignored her husband. Literally! I'm guessing the wife knew his character awfully well - grumpy. Much ado about nothing now isn't it? I laughed it off to myself all the way with some nice hot tea and a chocolate bar.

A story I must tell my Dad when I return home.

It was a good trip overall. Great companions, beautiful country, good food along the way - it couldn't been better. A good start for my very first year in Britain.

Next destination -- Kate Barker's place, Nottingham next weekend. For now, it's essay time.

much love x

No comments: